About the film:
Remake of a 1969 western True Grit starring John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn, which is a film adaptaion of the novel True Grit written by Charles Portis in 1968. Mattie Ross hires Cogburn to help track down her father's killer in Choctaw territory (now Oklahoma). She hires this particular U.S. marshall because of his reputation to get the job done, because he has "true grit".
Favorite Quotes:
Cogburn: "That didn't pan out."
Stonehill: "I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough."
Mattie Ross: "You must pay for everything in this world, one way and another. There is nothing free except the grace of God."
Mattie Ross: "I have come to take you back to Fort Smith."
Cheney: "Well I will not go. How do you like that?"
What I liked:
The character of Mattie Ross was played well by Hailee Steinfield. She captured the essence of a girl truly desiring revenge. One lesson I learned from this movie is that sometimes what you plan doesn't work out but things end up OK in the end.
What I didn't like:
I wasn't happy with how the film ended. There was no need to bring the story to when Mattie Ross was older. I think it could've been left well enough alone right after the point where Cogburn had to shoot the horse. I'm sure the writers and directors felt the story needed to come full circle though, showing this with Mattie sending Cogburn's body home in a train just like she did her father's body.

No comments:
Post a Comment